Cerebral spinal fluid collection
To help assure result validity, the following collection procedure must be observed:
- Spinal fluid should be collected and transported in a sterile screw-capped tube.
- Transport promptly at room temperature.
- Do NOT refrigerate if for bacterial culture.
- Specimens will be accepted within 24 hours of collection.
- Specimens must be labeled with the patient's full name (first and last), date of birth, and date of collection.
- Please call our Customer Service Department for the proper transport method if non-microbiology tests are also ordered.